Posted: November 24, 2023
Head to firstnationsdrinkingwater.ca for more information.
General Manager Position – Employment Opportunity
SHARED SPIRITS LIMITED PARTNERSHIP INC. GENERAL MANAGER
Wabauskang First Nation and Lac Seul First Nation are jointly seeking an individual to fill the role of General Manager of the Shared Spirits Limited Partnership Inc. to help the First Nations realize the mandate and goals of their partnership.
The position is based in Red Lake, Ontario. Red Lake is a northern Ontario community with a population of approximately 4,000 people. There are considerable economic development opportunities in the area with several existing mine sites (Evolution, West Red Lake Gold), as well as exciting future opportunities, including the Kinross site (formerly Great Bear Resources) near Dixie Lake and many junior companies in the area. This is an ideal opportunity for an individual looking to live in a full-service community with amenities including one of northwestern Ontario’s best eighteen-hole golf courses with endless outdoor recreational opportunities on your doorstep.
In 2018, Lac Seul First Nation and Wabauskang First Nation came together to develop a common approach to resource development in their shared traditional territories. The First Nations’ intent to work together was documented in a collaboration protocol in which they agreed to work together in unity in matters of common interest; in particular, with respect to resource development activities in their common homelands.
Two years later, in 2020, the two First Nations deepened their collaboration to protect their shared traditional territories by forming a strategic alliance to take advantage of business opportunities, to strengthen their environmental monitoring activities, and to present a united front to resource development companies. This strategic alliance was realized in Shared Spirits Limited Partnership Inc. (SSLP), an equal partnership between Wabauskang First Nation and Lac Seul First Nation. The hiring of the General Manager is the next critical step forward for the communities in this important partnership.
SHARED SPIRITS reflects the desire of the Anishinabe of Obishikokaang (Lac Seul First Nation) and of Obaushkong (Wabauskang First Nation) to exercise their duty as keepers of their shared homelands – through sustainable economic development, through strong environmental protection, and through meaningful community improvement – by setting the highest possible standard to preserve our lands, our resources, and our people.
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK
Responsible for the effective operation of the Shared Spirits Limited Partner Inc. (SSLP) and its related businesses. The General Manager will oversee implementation of strategic goals and objectives while providing direction and leadership toward the achievement of the corporation’s mission, vision and annual goals. Responsibilities include maintaining the corporation’s standards for licensing, employment, administration, regulations, and safety while ensuring the SSLP operates in an efficient and profitable manner.
This position reports to and is accountable to the band membership through the SSLP Board of Directors. This position supervises all SSLP and affiliated corporation staff and sub-contractors.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Implement SSLP’s mission and strategic goals as conveyed through SSLP’s objectives, policies, procedures, by-laws, as well as through the effective management of human, financial, and physical resources.
• Serve as general manager of the corporation.
• Fulfill corporate reporting functions ensuring continuity and requirements compliance.
• Implement organizational policies and programs, establish financial and administrative controls, formulate and approve promotional campaigns, and approve overall human resources planning.
• Performs all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the SSLP policies, standards and procedures.
• Meet with the board of directors and provide an executive report on monthly basis.
• Provide written quarterly reports to the limited partner First Nations.
• Coordinate Annual General Meetings in Wabauskang and Lac Seul to report to the limited partner First Nations.
• Coordinate Strategic Planning for SSLP
• Recruit, interview, hire, train and evaluate employees, contractors and other service providers that report directly to the general manager; ensure services are completed and addressed in a timely fashion.
• Monitoring staff performance and ensuring a high level of customer service is maintained to all stakeholders.
• Financial, Tax, Risk and Facilities Management – recommend a yearly budget for Board approval and allocate physical, human and financial resources within those guidelines according to current laws and regulations; obtain required insurance policies; oversight and maintenance and accuracy of records.
• Monitor office budget expenditures and calculate budget balances, advise on funds availability, and oversee bookkeeping functions.
• Approves and verifies accounts payable items and travel expenses.
• Responsible for management of all SSLP major assets.
Point of Contact
• Represent SSLP or delegate representatives to act on behalf of the organization in negotiations or other official functions, while ensuring the Corporation and its mission, programs, products and services are consistently presented in a strong, positive manner to relevant stakeholders and the community.
• Prepare submissions, applications, or proposals for new project development and to develop additional business opportunities.
• Develop and coordinate marketing, advertising and communications for SSLP
• Liaise between First Nation governments of Lac Seul and Wabauskang First Nations and ensures organizational strategies are implemented. Conduct research on best practices, business and marketing opportunities, compile data, and prepare papers for consideration and presentation by executives, committees and the board of directors.
• Ensure the Anishinaabe language, culture and history are reflected in aspects and functions of the partnership.
• Maintain confidentiality on all matters relating to the affairs of SSLP.
• Other duties related to operating SSLP as required.
This position works with:
• Board of Directors and Officers of the Corporation to provide input to SSLP policies and strategies, solutions to problems and help develop and implement short- and long-range plans.
• Clients/customers and stakeholders (Chief and Council, individuals, businesses, government, community groups, and professionals) to identify needs, discuss and resolve complaints and concerns and evaluate service delivery.
• Employees to discuss and resolve employee issues and concerns, provide direction, manage performance, ensure effective operations and provide service delivery standards.
• Employees to oversee and ensure high safety standards at all times.
• Officials/counterparts from other businesses to negotiate agreements, contracts or other business relationships.
• Industry representatives regarding activities, opportunities, and threats to SSLP businesses.
• Government officials and representatives to discuss programs, proposals, legislation and regulations and other issues relevant to SSLP.
• Ideally, the General Manager will have completed a bachelor’s or master’s degree in commerce, business administration, or a related field, with a focus on Community Economic Development. However, an equivalent level of education and experience will be considered.
• Proficiency with financial statements and office-related software (e.g. Microsoft Office) Job Posting-General Manager-Shared Spirits Limited Partnership Inc.
• Substantial practical experience in business management and/or community economic development.
• Minimum of five years’ experience as a manager with a community economic development focus, including operations, finance administration, marketing, and human resource functions.
• Demonstrated experience and ability to plan, organize, coordinate and lead a diversity of projects simultaneously.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND OTHER SKILLS
• Excellent interpersonal, tact and diplomacy skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Can engage in strategic planning, implementation, and evaluation within a First Nation community. Proven leadership and management skills.
• Respect and understanding of First Nations culture and traditions.
• Can develop and implement proposals.
• Must pass a Criminal Record Check
• Must possess a valid Driver’s License
• Knowledge of a variety of industries including mining, forestry, tourism, general contracting, and real estate.
• Knowledge of government programs and services.
• General knowledge of Anishinaabe culture and traditions (preferred).
• Knowledge of accounting and human resource systems.
• Knowledge of relevant laws and government legislation.
• Knowledge of information/computer systems.
• Ability to develop and manage budgets and oversee an accounting system.
• Ability to market and promote real estate and land development opportunities, community-based businesses, products, and services.
• Ability to work with a Board of Directors.
• Ability to manage human resources, including staff and consultants. Ability to manage large projects with limited resources.
• Strong communication skills.
• Political and cultural sensitivity.
• Ability to motivate and build successful relationships.
• Ability to resolve conflict effectively.
• Strong decision-making skills and the ability to meet short timeframes. Strong analytical and negotiation skills. Job Posting-General Manager-Shared Spirits Limited Partnership Inc.
HOURS OF WORK:
Monday -Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Duties may require work outside of normal hours for meetings or travel.
PAY: Salary and performance bonuses negotiable based on experience and qualifications.
This is a permanent position starting on July 10th, 2023.
Please email cover letter, resume, and three references by June 9th, 2023 at 4 p.m. to:
Hiring Committee – General Manager
Shared Spirits General Partner Inc.
c/o Haley Kocis
Click the link below to download the job ad.
Posted: November 24, 2023
Head to firstnationsdrinkingwater.ca for more information.
Posted: June 30, 2023
Lac Seul First Nation’s Economic Development Department would like to know your bus transportation and restaurant needs.Would you mind taking 4 minutes to complete this […]
Posted: May 24, 2023
General Manager Position – Employment Opportunity SHARED SPIRITS LIMITED PARTNERSHIP INC. GENERAL MANAGER Wabauskang First Nation and Lac Seul First Nation are jointly seeking an […]