Graduate – Rock Mechanic
Evolution Mining is a leading, growth focused globally relevant gold company. Evolution was created in late 2011 and operates five wholly owned mines across Australia and Ontario, Canada. We are passionate about our values of safety, excellence, accountability and respect and they underpin everything we do.
This is a Geotechnical Graduate role where the person will be involved with geotechnical data collection, analysis and input into operational planning at the Red Lake Operation. To identify and analyze risks associated with Geotechnical hazards within the bounds of the Mining and Quarrying Health and Safety Act and Regulations.
The purpose of the graduate program is to develop experience and gain exposure within the site Geotechnical Engineering teams.
- We offer competitive salaries, bonus structures and future growth
- Location: Red Lake, Canada
- Start your journey with Evolution and contribute to the company’s Vision, Goals and Values
We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity, offering exceptional career environments at our Sites and our Group Office, that are challenging, rewarding and fun for all employees. We are regularly supporting our employees’ work-life integration and provide a stimulating and inclusive environment to foster development.
Evolution Mining is a leading, growth-focused globally relevant gold company. We were created in late 2011 and operate five wholly owned mines across Australia and Ontario, Canada. In addition, we hold an economic interest in the Ernest Henry copper-gold mine in Queensland. We are committed to supporting the communities in which we operate, with local applicants encouraged to apply.
The safety, health and wellbeing of our people and the communities in which we operate are of paramount importance to us. We believe that every injury is preventable, and we are committed to providing a healthy and safe workplace and empowering our people to stop any unsafe behaviour, enabling everyone to work together towards an injury free workplace.
About our Operation
Our Red Lake Operation is located in an area where you will experience the best in Northern lifestyle, in the heart of a lake-studded, boreal forest region in Sunset Country. Red Lake is known for its natural beauty, abundant wildlife, and incredible Canadian fishing in the many freshwater lakes in the area. The Red Lake district is located 180 kilometers north of Dryden about 100 kilometers from the Manitoba border in North-western Ontario, Canada. It spans 42,000 hectares and has produced over 29 million ounces of gold since 1949. Our Red Lake Operation includes the Red Lake and Campbell underground mining and processing complexes, and Cochenour, a potential new source of ore. As Evolution’s newest asset and our first in North America, we are excited by the opportunities here.
About the role
The Graduate Geotechnical Engineer role key result areas include:
- Assist to ensure that the Red Lake operation complies with the relevant mining act and regulations with respect to managing geotechnical risk. Contribute to the development of geotechnical standards applicable to underground mining
- Facilitate internal and external geotechnical audits and inspections & apply internal auditing tools as required
- Work with Mine Planners to optimize mine design for good mining practice and predictable results
- Back analyze rock falls and rockburst and as built data base to refine the mining parameters and specify the TARP’s for CGO conditions
- Back analyze all failures to assess the mode of failure and assess the rock mass properties (rock mass and structure cohesion and friction values). Use the data as a predictor of future failure mechanisms
- Undertake a rock sampling & testing program to ascertain the inputs for future design work
- Work with the respective site team to ensure that the management plans are understood and implemented accordingly
- Improve selective mining processes via reduction ore blast movement analysis and dilution
- Undertake analysis on D&B results to determine powder factors and blast initiation sequence that is appropriate for varying rock mass conditions
- Work with the technical teams and site mining personnel to facilitate safe and practical mining plans and practices in the field
- Produce timely reports to site Management about any current or foreseen geotechnical issues
- Be “solutions driven” to remedy any current or foreseen geotechnical risks
- Deliver regular ground awareness presentations to technical and operational employees, and provide basic geotechnical awareness training when required
- Facilitate all geotechnical data acquisition and analysis conducted by third party consultants as required
- Maintain geotechnical instrumentation in good working order
- Tertiary degree in Civil, Mining, Geological or Geotechnical Engineering or equivalent related discipline
- Masters / PhD will be an advantage Self-motivated and proactive
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Technical Skills in AI or numerical analysis
- Analytical – High proficiency in excel
- Computer software Systems
Closing Date: January 15th, 2022
We thank you for taking the time to submit your application. For more information, you can contact email@example.com
External candidates can apply online by visiting https://careers.evolutionmining.com.au
We want your perspective and ideas to help us find better ways to build our team. You can be part of a committed, highly skilled team who will appreciate what you bring to the table. You will set and achieve goals and make decisions that matter, as together we help shape and contribute to the Evolution vision. As an equal opportunity employer, Evolution is committed to diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.