Emergency Preparedness Coordinator
Sioux Lookout First Nation Health Authority
Emergency Preparedness Coordinator
Location: Thunder Bay, ON
Salary Range: $65,209 – $83,928
Reference Number: #2024-006
If applying by email, indicate reference number in subject line
The Approaches to Community Wellbeing is a regional resource to 31 First Nations Communities. The Approaches to Community Wellbeing provides expertise, support, services, and programming in public health to the region. The program also supports communities in the development, implementation, and monitoring of their own Approaches to Community Wellbeing. The Safe Communities section of the model includes Environmental Concerns, Preventing Infectious Diseases, and Emergency Preparedness.
The Emergency Preparedness Coordinator will support communities in their preparedness efforts against threats to health. This will be done through conducting training and supporting the development and regular updating of pandemic and emergency response plans.
The Emergency Preparedness Coordinator is directly responsible to the Safe Communities Manager.
• Persons of First Nations ancestry will be given preference (OHRC, Part II, Special Employment)
• University degree in a health-related field
• Incident Management System and Basic Emergency Management certifications (instructor level preferred)
• Minimum two years’ experience in an emergency preparedness or response capacity
• Understanding of Public Health Systems (including Health Promotion and Protection Act and the Ontario Public Health Standards), and First Nations health systems
• Understanding of the unique determinants of health for First Nations
• Excellent facilitation and communication skills
• Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
• Ability to develop and maintain respectful/cooperative relationships with First Nations people, communities, service stakeholders, and health care providers to promote an integrated seamless delivery of service
• Ability to communicate in one of the First Nations dialects within the Sioux Lookout area an asset
• Must be willing to travel
• The ability to perform the requirements of the position on a regular basis.
Roles and Responsibilities:
1. Support communities and Tribal Councils in developing and aligning pandemic plans
2. Liaise with communities and Tribal Councils to ensure pandemic plans are updated annually
3. Support communities in aligning pandemic plans and emergency response plans
4. Maintain records of community pandemic plans and emergency response plans
5. Coordinate and delivery emergency preparedness trainings and refreshers for communities and
Tribal Councils 6. Maintain a record of personnel trained in emergency preparedness
7. Support the Preventing Infectious Diseases team in developing and updating Infectious Diseases Response Plan
8. Work with the Safe Communities Manager to maintain ACW Emergency Response Plan
9. Work with other departments within SLFNHA to align ACW’s Infectious Diseases and Emergency Response plans with other departmental plans and the overall organizational emergency response plan
10. Monitor threats to health in the region (i.e. forest fires) and communicate prevention messages in collaboration with health promoters and ensure management is aware of impending threats
11. Support communities and Tribal Councils in the public health response to emergency situations
12. All other duties as assigned
Apply online at https://www.slfnha.com/job/emergency-preparedness-coordinator-ref-2024-006/.
Human Resource Department
Sioux Lookout First Nations Health Authority
P.O. Box 1300, 61 Queen Street
Sioux Lookout, ON P8T 1B8
Phone: (807) 737-1802
Fax: (807) 737-2969
SLFNHA currently “Strongly Recommends” COVID-19 immunizations and requests your immunization status to be sent to our staff health department if successful in the recruitment process.
Closing Date: Until Filled
No resumes received after this time will be accepted.
The Health Authority wishes to thank all applicants in advance. However, only those granted an interview will be contacted.
For additional information regarding the Health Authority, please visit our website at www.slfnha.com
SLFNHA is a proud supporter of Mikinakoos Children’s Fund. To find out more, visit www.mikinakoos.com