Lac Seul First Nation
The Communications Coordinator reports to the Executive Director of LSFN and will work closely with LSFN’s Program Directors and Executive Assistant. The incumbent will be involved in all aspects of the development and implementation of the Lac Seul First Nations internal and external communications strategies.
The Communications Coordinator is responsible for promoting, protecting, and executing the Lac Seul First Nations political and/or organizational interests by developing the executive media relations and public relations strategies, alongside internal communications to Lac Seul First Nation Council, staff, and membership.
Lac Seul First Nation offers comprehensive health and pension benefits and also offers attractive leave benefits. The Communications Coordinator will be entitled to 1 week off during the March Break, 2 weeks off during the Christmas Break, a monthly stipend for gas allowance, as well as other leave as per policy. All Lac Seul First Nation communities are road accessible.
- Assist in developing, implementing, and evaluating external and internal communication plans.
- Manage day-to-day media relations/media requests for members on nation’s issues.
- Develop written materials, including press releases, Q&A, media statements on issues required.
- Build relationships with key media contracts and identify opportunities to proactively pitch advocacy to media as appropriate.
- Maintain social media accounts, blogs, twitter, website, etc…
- Assists in the oversight of all communication initiatives from execution to completion.
- Provide guidance to ensure coordination and communication of messages/news to both internal and external audience.
- Lead responsibility for all internal communications initiatives.
- Develop and implement online communications strategy ensuring alignment with internal communications strategy, including day-to-day content development strategy, and functional enhancements.
- Serve as editor and provides communication content for websites, newsletters, and social media venues (as deemed appropriate).
- Evaluate the effectiveness of internal communications and report results back to senior management and Council.
- Liaison and collaborate with employee groups and cross functional teams as needed and help provide creative solutions to communication problems.
- Lead internal communication resources to all departments.
- Develop and manage internal/external organizational and local community events in support of corporate giving strategy.
- Be familiar with laws, systems and processes applicable to the position, such as application statutes and regulations, Canada Labour Code, Indigenous organizations and government structures, and other law systems.
- Maintain high ethical standards, be aware of and remain up to date on privacy laws relating to client information and maintain confidentiality at all levels.
- Operate in accordance and ensure compliance to the Lac Seul administration personnel and program policies.
- A degree or experience in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or related discipline
- Strong working knowledge of communication principles and practices
- Work experience in communication and/or public relations
- Must possess excellent oral and writing skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, Internet and web design, and media monitoring
- Possess strong organizational skills
- Must submit a Criminal Reference Check
- Must have a valid “G” Driver’s License and access to a vehicle
- Ability to understand the Ojibwe language is an asset
SALARY: Starting salary $29.80+ dependent on education
HOURS: 35 hours a week, Monday to Friday
LOCATION: Lac Seul, ON
CLOSING DATE: Friday, March 5, 2021 by 4:30pm
Please submit a cover letter along with a resume, as well as written permission for HR Dept. to contact three references, (two must be most recent supervisors), either by fax, mail or email to:
Frenchman’s Head Band Office
Lac Seul First Nation
C/o HR Department
Hudson, ON. P0V 1X0
Fax #: (807) 582-3585
Please note that only candidates selected for an interview shall be contacted and a Criminal Record Check will be mandatory.