Sioux Lookout First Nation Health Authority
Internal/External Only Posting
Casual Position Location: Sioux Lookout, Ontario
Starting Salary rate: $22.952 per hour
The Transportation Driver/interpreter will be responsible for providing ground transportation of hostel clients and escorts from the First Nations communities approved by NIHB within an 8 km radius of Sioux Lookout. The Driver/Interpreter will provide general outreach and interpret for clients as well as perform routine maintenance and upkeep of the passenger vans.
Who can apply: Persons of First Nations ancestry will be given preference (s.16 (1)CHRA)
Applicants must possess:
- Completed Secondary Education preferred but will consider life experience/skills related to this position.
- No more than 2 minor convictions
- No serious or major convictions
- Must have a valid G Class Ontario Driver’s License
- Must have a sensitive, out-going and caring attitude in working with First Nations medical clients
- Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- A defensive driving course would be a definite asset
- Ability to speak in a First Nations dialect of the Sioux Lookout Zone (Ojibway, Cree and/or Oji-Cree) is a definite asset
- Must be willing to take additional training as directed by the CSD Manager
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide transportation for First Nations medical clients and escorts by
- Provide safe and courteous driving services, drop off and pick up in front of all medical buildings;
- Ensure that all passengers abide by safety laws (seat belts, child seats);
- Ensure all passengers are courteous and respectful of their fellow passengers;
- Working shift work and flexible shifts as required.
- Provide general outreach and interpreting services for clients by:
- Always provide proper and professional relations with clients;
- Provide polite, out-going and attentive client supervision, assistance, support and advocacy as necessary;
- Provide interpreting services as required.
- Perform routine maintenance and upkeep of Client Services Department passenger vans by:
- Provide safe and responsible operation of the department’s vehicles;
- Submit daily reports of each vehicle’s maintenance log book entries, daily vehicle Circle Checks and mileage;
- Submit daily reports of each vehicle’s client and mileage sheet used for statistical reporting;
- Monitor and report number of deliveries with and without clients for statistical reporting;
- Perform daily routine safety/Circle Checks of vehicles, including availability of safety equipment. While doing this all safety equipment must be worn. i.e. Safety vest;
- Perform light, routine vehicle maintenance and cleaning as directed by procedures or by the Client Services Supervisor.
- Pick up and deliver agency mail
- Pick up trays and orange coolers and deliver to lab
- Pick up packages from stores
- Pick up and deliver medical instruments to and from hospital and appointment clinic
- Fill up the van and fill out gas information at reception after every shift
- Plug van in during winter months when necessary
- Request supplies for van when needed
- Write up and submit incident reports to appropriate departments
- Participate and contribute to regular staff development activities and staff meetings
- Work as a team member with co-workers, SLFNHA staff and other organizations
- Provide assistance when required and any other duties assigned
Please send cover letter, resume, three most recent employment references and an up-to-date Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Persons Sector Check to:
Human Resource Department
Sioux Lookout First Nations Health Authority
P.O. Box 1300, 61 Queen Street
Sioux Lookout, ON P8T 1B8
Phone: (807) 737-1802
Fax: (807) 737-2969
Closing Date: Open to Filled
No resumes received after this time will be accepted.
The Health Authority wishes to thank all applicants in advance.
However, only those granted an interview will be contacted.
For additional information regarding the Health Authority, please visit our Web-site at www.slfnha.com
SLFNHA is a proud supporter of Mikinakoos Children’s Fund. To find out more, visit www.mikinakoos.com
To apply for this job email your details to Human.Resources@slfnha.com.