Evolution Mining is a leading, growth focused Australian gold company. We own and operate a portfolio of gold mines across Australia. At Evolution our best discoveries are found every day through the innovation displayed by our people, our great teams, our 100% focus on getting our people home safely and our commitment to building an exceptional company. And we want you to help us discover more!
The purpose of the Geotechnical Engineer (Rock Mechanic) role is to be responsible for evaluating mine plans, mine sequencing and ground support requirements using rock mechanics principles, theories and ground control techniques to ensure the stability of all underground workings, while maximizing safety and optimizing production targets at Evolution Mining Red Lake Operation.
- Roster: Local – 5 days on/ 2 days off/ 4 days on/ 3 days off – 9 hour shifts
- Multiple positions – full time/permanent and fixed terms
- We offer competitive salaries, bonus structures and future growth
- Location: Red Lake, Canada
At Evolution, we’re passionate about Our Culture and Values.
We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity, offering exceptional career environments at our Sites and our Group Office, that are challenging, rewarding and fun for all employees. We are regularly supporting our employees’ work-life integration and provide a stimulating and inclusive environment to foster development.
Evolution Mining is a leading, growth-focused globally relevant gold company. We were created in late 2011 and operate five wholly owned mines across Australia and Ontario, Canada. In addition, we hold an economic interest in the Ernest Henry copper-gold mine in Queensland.
We are committed to supporting the communities in which we operate, with local applicants encouraged to apply.
About our Operation
Our Red Lake Operation is located in an area where you will experience the best in Northern lifestyle, in the heart of a lake-studded, boreal forest region in Sunset Country. Red Lake is known for its natural beauty, abundant wildlife, and incredible Canadian fishing in the many freshwater lakes in the area. The Red Lake district is located 180 kilometers north of Dryden about 100 kilometers from the Manitoba border in Northwestern Ontario, Canada. It spans 42,000 hectares and has produced over 29 million ounces of gold since 1949. Our Red Lake Operation includes the Red Lake and Campbell underground mining and processing complexes, and Cochenour, a potential new source of ore. As Evolution’s newest asset and our first in North America, we are excited by the opportunities here.
About the role
- The Geotechnical Engineer role offers an exceptional opportunity to ensure that all practices and activities within the Mine Department are consistent and conform to the requirements of the Ontario OH&S Act and Regulations for Mines and Mining Plants, and other relevant legislation, as well as company policies and procedures.
Key result areas in this role include:
- Review and evaluate designs of underground openings with regards to stability and ground support requirements
- Evaluate short and long term mine designs including mine sequencing using numerical modelling
- Collect geotechnical data and keep the Ground Control Management Plan up to date
- Evaluate existing underground workings and provide rehabilitation plans
- Interpret seismic events and spatial relationship with geological and structural features
- Work on special projects as assigned and other duties as assigned by your supervisor
Safety is our priority
The safety, health and wellbeing of our people and the communities in which we operate are of paramount importance to us. We believe that every injury is preventable, and we are committed to providing a healthy and safe workplace and empowering our people to stop any unsafe behaviour, enabling everyone to work together towards an injury free workplace.
As a Rock Mechanic Engineer, you will possess a Bachelor of Applied Science/Engineering Degree in Mining or Geological/Geotechnical Engineering. Must be eligible for Professional Engineer status within the Province of Ontario.
It is also important that you have/ can demonstrate:
- Knowledge of and ability to apply rock mechanic principles
- Proficient with stress modelling (Map3D) and analysis of mine sequences
- Able to identify ground stability problems and perform analysis using RocScience software (such as Dips and Unwedge)
- Proficient in use of mine drafting and planning software (AutoCAD, Deswik, etc.)
- Geotechnical mapping ability, able to identify key structures
- Familiar with various ground support systems and their application
- Knowledge of seismicity and seismic systems as it relates to mining
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Good communication and presentation skills
Closing date: Open Until Filled
We thank you for taking the time to submit your application. For more information, you can contact email@example.com
External candidates can apply online by visiting https://careers.evolutionmining.com.au
Internal candidates must apply through ERROLL under internal vacancies, please ensure to include an internal job application form signed by your supervisor/department head.
We want your perspective and ideas to help us find better ways to build our team. You can be part of a committed, highly skilled team who will appreciate what you bring to the table. You will set and achieve goals and make decisions that matter, as together we help shape and contribute to the Evolution vision. As an equal opportunity employer, Evolution is committed to diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.